Monday, March 5, 2012

Plate-Spinning Management

Time.  We all have the same amount of it...yet how can people approach it so differently?  How can some people seem to fly through their days with large quantities of time spent in productive (or at least seemingly productive) activities?  How can some people juggle family life and having a career (either inside or outside the home)?  In the midst of all this, how do I determine what I should be spending (I mean, investing) my time doing?

One thing I've come to realize about myself is that I'm a simple person.  I would like to think that I can multi-task in such a way as to keep 100 plates spinning, giving each the focused attention and energy they need to never wobble...much less come crashing down.  But the truth of the matter is that I just can't.  And it doesn't seem very helpful to compare myself to those "other women" who seem to be able to spin those plates with grace and ease.  (I know, I know...this is probably not their reality...but they sure do a convincing job of making me think it is!)

So, I have to decide what plates are important to God, to me, to my husband, to my kids during this particular season of life and just focus on those.  Right now, it seems that these are my plates.
Don't get me wrong.  There are other plates.  My house needs to be cleaned.  Meals need to be made.  I enjoy time to myself or with friends (sans kids) from time to time.  But here are the priorities.  I can take some of those other plates and put them away.  I'll get them out when I need to and use them, but I don't need to keep them spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment